With sensitivity to perceived racism growing all the time, how important should intent be when society punishes someone for stepping over the line? On Wednesday, BBC radio presenter and comedian Danny Baker posted a black-and-white retro photo meme that showed a chimp accompanied by two well-dressed chaperones, with the caption "Royal baby leaves the hospital." If we believe that this was a joke mocking the mixed-race origins of the newborn Archie, whose mother Meghan Markle is half black, then there is clear-cut cause for dismissal. Characterizing black people as simians has a long and inglorious history. But what if we take the furious Baker at his word - that his "mind is not diseased" so he didn't think of the "possible connotations" and deleted the tweet voluntarily as soon as he was alerted to them.
- The Average U.S. Farm Is $1,300,000 In Debt, And Now The Worst Farming Crisis In Modern History Is Upon Us
- NY Israel Consul General Calls Terror TV Al Jazeera Host ‘Bigot’
- Brazil’s Bolsonaro accuses Macron of sensationalism for sharing fake photos of Amazon fires
- Time to Come Home 432Hz (Video)
- Hong Kong Riot Police Beat Protesters; ‘Smart Lampposts’ Destroyed