Plans by the UK government to regulate the internet with an independent watchdog, apparently due to widespread concerns over harmful content, should be a worrying wake-up call for advocates of free speech, an analyst tells RT. John Wight, a writer and political commentator, argues that the mainstream media and their governments in the West do not want to take responsibility for creating the conditions for public cynicism. He claims they are ostensibly trying to curb dissent with this controversial intervention on freedom of expression. It's a very serious and sinister undertaking by the British government to try and control the last free space of communication that exists in society in the UK and in the West. Legitimate concerns surrounding the 'abuse' of freedom of speech disseminating across the internet has increased pressure on governments and tech firms, such as Facebook and Google to take action. Real questions are being asked about whose responsibility it should be to...
- Russia’s top investigator reveals motive of Crimea school shooter: Bullying and humiliation
- Russia’s Chief of the General Staff Gerasimov: US has been waging ‘hybrid warfare’ against Russia for ages
- English Is Not the Official Language of the United States
- Army Veteran Shreds Rep. Ilhan Omar Over Her Anti-American ‘Black Hawk Down’ Tweet
- Former FBI official Bill Priestap: Clinton emails were found in Obama White House