Archaeologists discovered a chaffinch skull in the mouth of a child buried about 200 years ago in Cave Tunel Wielki; another skull was found next to the child's cheek. This is the only modern human skeleton discovered so far a cave in the Kraków-Częstochowa Upland, the discoverers believe. The discovery was made several decades ago, but it has never been published and analysed. "About 10-year-old child was buried very shallowly under the surface in one of the two chambers of the cave" - says Dr. Małgorzata Kot from the Institute of Archaeology, University of Warsaw. Researchers have taken samples from the child's remains for radiocarbon studies to determine their age. It turned out that the child was buried in the second half of the 18th century or at the turn of the 19th century, The biggest surprise for archaeologists was that the child was buried with a bird (chaffinch) skull in the mouth. Another similar skull was found next to the child's cheek. "This burial is a big surprise...
- Cow hugging: More people are turning to a variety of animals for mental health
- Meditation: Wisdom in the silence
- From vaccines to statins: Dr. David Brownstein replies to fake news in JAMA Cardiology
- Motor neurone disease researchers find link to microbes in gut
- Japan’s neighbors will closely observe PM Abe’s policy after election